Pages

Welcome!

This blog details the learning journey to complete the Edublogs Teacher Challenge 2011. It is a conversation about being a beginner blogger so it may prove to be a little too self-deprecating at times for some readers!

This blog is about blogging - setting up a brand new blog, making decisions about design and appearance, and learning how to use the Blogger interface as well as the slightly different Edublogs interface. So it will also discuss the decisions made for the design and operation of my professional blog which is Applied Chaos Theory (hosted at Edublogs).

I hope that by journalling about my learning journey in the world of teacher blogging it may provide some small encouragement to other teacher bloggers as they begin their own learning journey in this new collaborative/connected world!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Self-promotion and blogging

Writing here, about the blogging process, is really helping me think through decisions I am making for my professional blog (over at edublogs).
Things got really serious this morning - I finalised a significant piece of writing and transfered it to the new page I had set aside for this post thread - something that I have wanted to start for ages. Re-reading that it doesn't make much sense to anyone but me!
Why I mention it at all is because I have been thinking all day about how when you bare your thinking to the world, using a blog as the tool of revelation, it is a stage of vulnerability that I hadn't realised before. It brings a couple of decisions with it.
Firstly, are you completely comfortable with having other people view and assess your writing piece? Once again I was lucky here because @2sparkley was kind enough to proofread my new piece for me before I did anything else. She made some gentle suggestions and encouraged me at a time when I needed a kind word!
So what do you do with it then? Do you leave it up there on the web and let it sit as an undiscovered treasure out on the web? Or do you participate in some sort of self-promotion using social networking sites and your PLN contacts?
What I chose to do is to make ONE tweet this morning about my brand new blog and include a direct link to the page that includes the writing I had finalised. Did it attract any traffic? Well... no... but that's fine too - just because you write it doesn't guarantee they will come! Like everything else in this new venture - much to learn about all these issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment